Sunday, January 30, 2011

In Memory of Wilfrid Wilker

Wilfrid Wilker passed away early Friday morning the 28th January, 2011. He had a full and interesting life.

Wilfrid was born on the 1st June1927 in Kohlgraben bei Voelkershausen (Rhon) East Germany. His father was Karl Hermann Wilker (Dr Phil et Med/Jena). He came to South Africa with his father and stepmother when he was 6 years old.  They had to leave Germany because his father was opposed to Hitler.  They each were allowed one bag and they got a one-way ticket out of Germany during Hitler's reign.  His older sister stayed in Switzerland with friends of the family.

He went to Kearsny College, Hillcrest and wrote matric in 1944. He was often taunted as  "nazi" which made him very unhappy.

1945 - 1948 he studied medicine at Natal University College
1949 He worked with the Natal Road and Excavation Contractors in Pietermaritzburg.
1950 AECI in Umbogintwini.
1951 - 1952 He was with the Town Engineering Department in Pietermaritzburg.
1952 - 1957 Dept of Lands, Pietermaritzburg and Pretoria.


During this time he got married to Nita Wilker on the 10th of July 1954.
Sonja was born on 19 December 1956 and Mario on 8 May 1959.

1957 - 1965 Dept of Interior
1965 - 1968 Civil Service Commission
1969 - 1984 Department of Commerce
1984 - 1986 Dept of Commerce and Industries stationed as foreign attache in Bad Godesberg, near Bonn in Germany, after which he retired.

This picture was taken at his 80th birthday celebration 3 years ago. He will be sorely missed.

Nita Wilker says:
After a long and happy married life in different provinces and countries, with many friends made through his work, it will be difficult to adjust to doing our favorite things alone. He was a great friend and husband.

Our domestic, Joyce, who has been with us for 40 years, tells me what an extraordinary person he was - as I well know. His steadfastness & strength of character was a good example for Sonja & Mario whom he loved dearly. He never stopped worrying about their welfare.

One of his favorite things was to allow his grandchildren to play with his hair, to put clips in, and to "write" on his back with a finger, and guess what the words are. Sonja & Mario did this too on Saturday mornings when they were much younger.

Wilfrid had a great love of words. His most abiding and last interest was about the universe, the start & expansion, and the new discoveries made possible with stronger telescopes. He read widely from an early age, questioning things - a real enquiring mind.

So a full life has ended. With all my love, Nita

I (Sonja Wilker) read these passages that my dad had written before his death.

Wilfrid Wilker's Personal Message written for his own cremation ceremony in his handwriting, and transcribed below for easy reading, in Afrikaans and English.
Persoonlike Boodskap tydens verassing

Aan diegene wat my afsterwe betreur of genoeg omgee om vaarwel te se wil ek net dankie se vir hul teenwoordigheid by die verassingseremonie vandag. Moenie my enigsins bejammer oordat ek nie julle sterk geloof in 'n geseende hiernamaals met ewigdurende vrede kan deel nie. Ek is tevrede om my laaste asem uit te blaas en om weereens deel van die kosmiese stof te word wat ook ons aardse biosfere uitmaak. In terme van die heelal aanvaar ek my algehele nietigheid en eis geen spesiale erkenning nie. Ek wil egter hoop en vertrou dat my kortstondige bestaan nie totaal vergeefs was nie en dat ek met toegeneendheid onthou sal word deur diegene met wie ek gedurende my leeftyd in aanraking gekom het.

- Wilfrid Wilker
Personal message during cremation

To those who mourn my final passing or care enough to say farewell in person, I wish to say thank you for your presence at this cremation ceremony today. Please do not grieve unduly that I could not share your certain beliefs about a blessed hereafter with everlasting peace. I accept my frail mortality and am content on my death to become again part of the cosmic dust which also constitutes our earthly biosphere. In terms of the universe I realise my utter insignificance and do not claim any special or divine recognition. However I do hope that my brief existence has not been entirely in vain and that I may be remembered with a measure of regard and affection by those with whom I came into contact during my lifetime.

- Wilfrid Wilker

Mario Wilker read some letters of acknowledgment  that were written to my father during the years from a number of his colleagues and various other people he came into contact with.  He also read a lovely poem that he got from poemhunter on the web, which goes as follows:
Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the Presence in the room he said
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still, and said "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blessed,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

-- Anonymous Submission 


My mum Nita Wilker looking rather glam.




We wish to thank family and friends for the love, support and generosity, for the beautiful flowers and other gifts that were showered upon us.  Also a big thank you to all who had traveled far to get here and share this day with us, to those who wanted to be here, but had other commitments, live way too far away, or for whatever reason couldn't be here, thanks for the good wishes and lovely messages.



Some of the gorgeous flowers. I didn't take pictures of all.



I was behind the camera so there were no photos of me, but my mom insisted we take a photo, so here you are, one of me too.




Please feel free to comment below if you feel moved to do so. Many thanks.

10 comments:

  1. I will remember your Dad as the good man and unreserved friend to me. I miss his laughter. I wish him peace.
    Much love to both Wilker and Pretorius families.
    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. `n Geliefde en gerespekteerde man wat altyd in ons gedagtes sal wees,of totdat ons ook assies is! Baie dankie aan al ons familie en vriende vir liefde, bystand en onderskraging. Die hulp van Kockie met Wilfrid se ineenstorting en na sy dood 2vm was onberekenbaar. Dankie. Ook vir die pragtige blomme, inspirerende woorde en heerlike eetgoed. Die wat ons goed geken het, weet dit was `n besondere huwelik. Innige liefde Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Wilfred and Nita through my parents, Kurt and Gwen Jensen. Despite having met them relatively few times they always seemed to me the most genuine and sincere couple I have had the pleaseure of meeting. A sense of calm and serenity accompanied them both and they 'fitted' together perfectly - soul-mates comes to mind. I was so sad to hear of Wilfred's illness and my love and thoughts are with you Nita. Jade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing I remember with the fondest memory is when my dad would tell, what he considered a most risque, naughty, or wicked joke, his aquiline nose would reach down to his chin with laughter, his face would scrunch up, and tears would stream down his cheeks.
    With love
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another quirky thing I remember about my dad was when he wrote a letter, he would write one word, make circles in the air for a while write another word, and so he would fil the page. When I asked him about it, he said that he needed to be precise in his wording so tha tit could not be interpreted in any other way than was intended. In my opinion, this is probably not possible, but I am sure one can reduce the risk.
    With fond memories of my dad
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  6. To post a comment you need to have an open id, google, yahoo, hotmail, wordpress, live journal, typepad, or instant messaging account. That is what they are requesting below in the comment as box... you need a profile to post as.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I met Wilfred in the late sixties when it was an requirement for companies to apply for import permits. That business relationship led to a long and lasting friendship between Wilfred, Nita, my late wife Gwen and myself.

    Wilfred was a sincere, honest, and friendly person whom loved life, it was always a pleasure being together with him, I consider myself fortunate in having been one of his friends.

    In terms of the Universe then Wilfred’s existence was brief but definitely an existence that touched many people, he will without a doubt be remembered with respect and affection.

    Kind regards,
    Kurt
    Bang & Olufsen South Africa

    Posted on behalf of Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment is by Keith:

    I am very impressed that Wilfed prepared a personal note for his own cremation and I am moved by it's content. It is very human to question to what extent one's life has been in vain. I am convinced that Wilfred's life has been very worthwhile. I cannot attempt to enumerate all his contributions because it would be very incomplete. What I have observed is that Wilfed lived up to his principles and provided immense love, support and joy to Nita, Sonja, Mario, the extended family and those around him.

    I have many fond memories of the times I enjoyed with Wilfed in South Afica & in Europe.

    Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for your lost of Wilfrid Wilker.

    I couldn't find your address, so I am posting this here, even though it's not really the right space. For an exhibition at Berlin, Germany I am currently looking for a picture of Wilfreds Father Karl Wilker who was working at the forced educational institution "Lindenhof" in Berlin as reform educator before he had to leave Germany with his family and went to South Africa. Maybe you can help?

    Thanks in advance and all the best,
    Viola von Zadow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is Wilfrid`s birth-date and I reminisced. Apologies for not seeing your request and appreciated condolences. For photo, please send email to wilkernita@gmail.com
      Kind regards, Nita Wilker - widow

      Delete